Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Show Review: Cut Copy - 3/23, 9:30 Club, DC

I don't think I've been to a show since I saw CSS in December. That seems slightly odd, given my modest streak since moving to Baltimore (averaging a show a month, but coming from Iowa, that's A LOT!).

To be completely honest, it wasn't until Friday or Saturday that I remembered the Cut Copy show was coming up on Monday. It seems like forever ago that I bought the ticket.

In classic style, I strolled into the 9:30 Club just in time to see the openening band, Matt & Kim.



They must play in the area frequently, because I feel like I've seen their names advertised quite a bit. I wasn't totally sold on them, but I'll give their album a spin. I was totally sold on their enthusiasm and energy, however. They seemed genuinely happy as shit to be playing, which is always a welcome stage attitude in my book. And yes, I have a crush on Kim. I've always had a thing for female drummers, what can I say? Serious sidenote though, they got a really great drum sound out of that kit. The sound at the 9:30 Club is generally pretty great to begin with, but something about the drums and the way the were miked/mixed sounded fantastic. There was also a moment of serendipity when they played the intro to "The Final Countdown," which I'd heard on the radio on the way down. I also had an amusing/odd dream about Buster Bluth the other night. Why is Arrested Development haunting me? What is the universe trying to say?!?!

30 minutes and one cocktail later, Cut Copy took the stage.



I can't say that I have any real sense of history with this band, and my guess is that the same is true of the majority of folks in the sold out crowd. I really only know In Ghost Colours, which was one of my favorites from 2008.

Through the first two songs, I was a little bit worried. They sounded great, but little seemed to be happening live aside from the drums and vocals. This quickly changed however, as a bass and six string were brought out and remained for the bulk of the set. They tore through pretty much all of In Ghost Colours, which pleased me. They also had an insane light rig. Listen to their record. Imagine what the lighting might be like set to that music. Your mental image is probably accurate. It was intense and very colorful, if blinding at times. Predictably, they closed with "Lights and Music," which I thought they might be sick of by now. But I was glad to hear it.

At some point they also played "Hearts on Fire." You know how sometimes you like a song, but you hear it live and it kicks your appreciation up a few notches? That's the case here. There is a video for the song, but embedding is disabled and to be honest, I think it's kind of a hokey clip. But it's a great song:


Hearts On Fire - Cut Copy

All in all, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I won't say that I was blown away by the show, but I'm glad that I went, it was well worth the ticket price. Happy to have them be my first concert of 2009. Next up is Springsteen in May, unless something comes up in the interim.

No comments: