Thursday, May 1, 2008



This post came about in response to two recent events. First, on my last trip to Pittsburgh, I found a used copy of The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions. Secondly, Steve Pond's talk on jazz at IASPM has me dusting off some records that I don't listen to often enough.

I love jazz. However, it's rare that I buy jazz records these days. This is for no good reason other than I'm constantly overwhelmed by the amount of music that I don't have. Maybe once the rock star thing pans out, I can just splurge and buy everything that I want.

While I enjoy a variety of jazz genres, I'm most attracted to the genres and figures that get experimental, deviating from standard forms and unafraid to play around with sound/noise. Off the top of my head, things like Coltrane's "Ascension" and "Om," Eric Dolphy and Ornette Coleman's so-called 'free' jazz, etc.

And of course, Miles' fusion period.

I like a lot of Miles Davis records throughout his career. He covered a hell of a lot of territory, and always seemed to be at the forefront of pushing the genre into new directions. Still, it's the fusion material that really pulls me in. Maybe that's cliche, I don't know. If it is, I don't care.

Along these lines, what I have for you today is a show from 10/17/70 titled Fillmore Densetsu.

1. Directions
2. Honky Tonk
3. unnamed
4. Sanctuary
5. Yesternow
6. Bitches Brew
7. Inamorata / The Theme

Enjoy Fillmore Densetsu.

No comments: