Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ys, Joanna, there is a Gonzo Claus.




I don't even know what that title means. Just ignore it. I'm nearing the end of a night of productivity, so my brain may not be at its best.

But I digress.

Here is a recent discovery that I highly recommend checking out. I believe I came across Joanna Newsom through some Pitchfork article or another. The blurb started thus: And we all thought Bruce Springsteen only influenced dude-rock bands like the Hold Steady and the Killers. But no, His Bossness' magic even infiltrates the enchanted forest where pixies like Joanna Newsom hang out! Interesting, I thought. So I gave it a whirl. Let me tell you know that this is pretty fucking far from sounding Springsteen-ish at all. Now I realize that those oh-so-witty folks at Pitchfork were making a pun about Joanna's upcoming release, Joanna Newsom and the Ys. Street Band.

So what does it sound like exactly? Lots of strings, bowed and plucked. All Music dubs it an "Appalachian-meets-avant-garde take on folk music." It's difficult to describe, which is generally the mark of something interesting. This 2006 release is technically an EP, boasting only 5 tracks. However, the disc clocks in at just over 55 minutes. And it's quite a journey - I recommend it highly. I'm curious, let me know what you think.

(link expired)

No comments: