Friday, February 16, 2007

weekend music



Over the holidays, I hung out with a friend of mine from high school that I haven't seen in probably three years. He was always a music geek too, and whenever we do see each other, we inevitably start talking about what we've been listening to. We were in my car, and I was bumping my 2006 mix. Digging Nino Moschella, he said "Have you heard Jamie Lidell?" "No." "If you like this stuff, you'd totally dig him." So I did some research, and came across his 2005 album Multiply.

WOW.

This shit is the bomb. I can see it in the same vein as Nino, although perhaps not quite as lo-fi in the production department (he's on Warp, after all). This guy is somewhere between funk and soul, somewhere between the early 1970s and the early 2000s. I was listening to this all day last friday - in my discman (yes, still rocking one of those), at home, in the car, I even played the title track for my students before class started. It's an addictive record, and I'm anxious to explore his other releases.

I'm serious - make a point to spin this this weekend. If you're reading this before work, take it with you. It will make your day better, I promise.

(link expired)

Jamie Lidell on Myspace

Jamie's Official Site

And check the video for "The City," which you can find on Warp's recently released DVD video compendium:

No comments: