Friday, April 17, 2009

Latest Epic Dance Mix

This past friday was my (successful) dissertation defense. More importantly, some good friends humored me by marking the occasion with an epic party, which included much dancing.

Initially, I felt that this mix wasn't as good as the last one. But listening to it again on the ride from Iowa to Pittsburgh and judging by the amount of dancing, maybe I was too quick to judge.

Let me qualify this though. This is the third four-disc dance set I've made in a year and a half. Being geeky and anal, I have a self-imposed policy amongst these sets not to repeat songs. Admittedly, that is starting to become difficult. But it should be a while before I have occasion to embark on another similar project, so perhaps it's a non-issue.

Experience has taught me the art of buildup. People need to get their drink on before dancing commences, of course. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't provide some kick ass music while people arrive, mingle, and imbibe. The earlier portion of an epic dance mix thus allows quite a bit of freedom - a little more rock, some lesser-known tracks, etc. - but the undercurrent must get folks in the mood. At any rate, it's a safe bet that no one will be dancing for disc 1. Indeed, that was the case here, and given that the "dancefloor" was downstairs, I don't imagine anyone heard disc 1, and that was what I expected. Christ, I hadn't seen these folks for 8 months, we had much catching up to do (and many beverages to consume)!

Nevertheless, some good tunes for you. Personally, I find that they also work well for accompaniment on those long runs.

And so ladies and gentlemen, I give you
A Doctor in the House - Disc 1
.

Disc 2 will follow shortly.

No comments: