Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Doctor in the House, Disc 4

And now the exciting conclusion (though I should add that this was not the conclusion to the night. Nay, we went back to disc 3 and found the remaining liqour in the house - blueberry Smirnoff [NOT RECOMMENDED]).

I like how this turned out overall. Even knowing that you may not get to disc 4 (though we did), there's a lot of weight put on that last song. I always feel like it has to be something meaningful or at least climactic. I chose Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher" for two reasons. First, it was preceded by a little soul set anyway, and flowed well. Second - though it may seem cheesy, I saw it as a reappropriation of the song. While the lyrics are directly about a romantic relationship that buoys the narrator's spirit, I applied it to the relationships with my Iowa peeps, who were my friends, colleagues, motivators and support group over the last 5 years. On many occasions, they did indeed lift me "higher and higher." I told you it was cheesy, but what can I say. I'm a bit of a sap.

In closing, I give you:
A Doctor in the House, Disc 4

See previous posts for earlier discs:
Disc 1
Disc 2
Disc 3

And the tracklist for the whole set is in the comments of this post.

3 comments:

Gonzo said...

Disc 1
1. Prince - 3121
2. Billy Preston - Outa Space
3. The Family - Mutiny
4. Nikka Costa - Stuck to You
5. Ronnie Whitehead - Out of Breath
6. D'Arby, Terence Trent - Dance Little Sister (Part One & Two)
7. Us3 - Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)
8. The J.B.'s - Pass The Peas
9. Chambers Brothers - Funky
10. Mighty Hannibal - All Night Long
11. N.W.A. - Express Yourself
12. Lcd Soundsystem - Daft Punk Is Playing At My House
13. Le Tigre - Decapitation
14. Joan Jett - Bad Reputation
15. Devo - Uncontrollable Urge
16. Hot Hot Heat - No, Not Now
17. The Ting Tings - Shut Up And Let Me Go
18. Brazilian Girls - Jique
19. CSS - Left Behind

Disc 2
1. The Cars - Let's Go
2. Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
3. The Clash - The Magnificent Seven
4. Talking Heads - Life During Wartime (live)
5. MGMT - Kids
6. Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey
7. Gary Numan - Cars
8. Crystal Castles - Crimewave (Crystal Castles vs Heath)
9. Daft Punk - Da Funk
10. Bonde Do RolĂȘ - Marina Do Bairro
11. Herbie Hancock - Rockit
12. Chromeo - Tenderoni
13. Kylie Minogue - Wow (CSS Remix)
14. INXS - Devil Inside
15. Sheena Easton - Sugar Walls (dance mix)
16. Tower Of Power - What Is Hip?

Disc 3
1. 2 Pac - 2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted
2. Roger - So Ruff, So Tuff
3. Kool and The Gang - Get Down on it
4. Brick - Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody
5. Dazz – Let it Whip
6. Nelly Furtado ft - Do It [Remix ft Missy Elliott]
7. Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For
8. Rihanna - Don't Stop The Music
9. Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
10. Prince - U Got The Look (Long Look)
11. Jackson, Janet - The Pleasure Principle
12. The Whispers - Rock Steady
13. Madonna - Holiday
14. New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle (Shep Pettibone remix [edit])
15. Cut Copy - Lights And Music


Disc 4
1. Chuck Brown & Soul Searchers - Bustin' Loose (Pt. 1)
2. Parliament - Flash Light
3. Prince - DMSR
4. Chaka Khan & Rufus - Ain't Nobody
5. Kano - Can't Hold Back (Your Loving)
6. Carl Carlton - She's a Bad Mama Jama
7. The Jacksons - Blame It On The Boogie
8. Sugarhill Gang - Apache
9. Tony! Toni! Toné! - If I Had No Loot
10. Positive K - I Got A Man
11. Ludacris - One More Drink (Co-Starring T-Pain)
12. Outkast - The Whole World (Radio Edit)
13. James Brown - I Got the Feelin'
14. Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out
15. Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Parts I & II)
16. Diana Ross + The Supremes - You Keep Me Hangin' On
17. Martha And The Vandellas - Nowhere To Run
18. Wilson, Jackie - Higher and Higher

KrissyGo! said...

I have to say, I'm impressed I remember so much of Discs 3 & 4, blueberry vodka notwithstanding.

What I can't believe is that DSMR didn't make it onto any of your earlier mixes.

Good times.

Gonzo said...

Good times indeed, but I'm willing to campaign against the very existence of blueberry vodka.

Likewise, as drunk as we were, I'm also a little surprised at how much I remember the latter discs. Listening to them a week later was what I imagine an acid flashback would be like.

Thanks for throwing down, not that I expected anything less. We should look into finding a good dance night in Chitown for NCA.