Sunday, July 20, 2008

Gonzo Salutes Yacht Rock + OST!

First, some announcements
1) Sorry for missing Friday Funk this week. I'm in the middle of a hectic chapter on the diss, had a roadtrip this weekend and am also gearing up to move, so things are a bit nutso over here.
2) Speaking of the moving business, I will be losing my Internet access sometime tomorrow for at least a few weeks. Consider this summer vacation!

But before I leave, I have something for you.




About a year ago, I was hipped to an online show known as Yacht Rock. A good friend of mine had raved about it, and I finally gave it a go. I watched all of the episodes in rapid succession, and was an instant fan.

Each episode of Yacht Rock recounts a (fictionalized) story from pop music history, all centering on the late 1970s and early 1980s, with the smooth sounds of artists such as Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, Hall & Oates, etc.

It's goddamn hilarious. It's well written, the performance are brilliantly executed, and of course, the music is smoooooooooooth. Here's the first episode:



See the rest at Channel 101.

Ever since watching the series, I've been meaning to construct the Yacht Rock soundtrack. I finally got around to it. This is not every song featured in the series - that wouldn't fit on one disc.
But I tried to keep tracks that were the focus of particular episodes. There were some difficult cuts as always, but c'est la vie. So dear readers, I give you

Yacht Rock: Original Internet Television Show Soundtrack!

Enjoy, and stay smooth.

No comments: