Thursday, March 24, 2011

"We Don't Get No Sleep: A Janet Mix"


This weekend, my sis and I are heading to Atlantic City to see Janet Jackson. While I should have seen her on The Velvet Rope tour and recently drooled over the setlist for the Rhythm Nation tour, I'm still way excited. Doubly so, as she's playing smaller venues, which will be groovy.

Anyhow, after a few St. Patty's cocktails, my sister implored me to make a Janet mix for the drive. Never one to turn down the opportunity for a good mix, I got to work a few days later, and this is what I came up with.

It's 90 minutes. Maybe that's breaking some sort of commandment of mixmaking, but I couldn't get it down to 80. And you know what? Back in the day we always made 90 minute mixes, because that was the standard cassette length. So there.

It's a legit, continuous mix. Her early albums haven't been remastered (to my knowledge), and I wanted to include some of those iconic segues, which often meant mixing the album segues with the Design of a Decade remastered tracks.

Nothing from her last few records, simply because I'm not that familiar with them. The last album I bought was All for You, and the last album that knocked my socks off was The Velvet Rope. And while there are some more mid-tempo tracks, there are no slow jams. Not that Miss Jackson doesn't make some sexy slow jams, but I viewed this as a dance mix of sorts.

There are also a few mixing flourishes that I'm kind of proud of. Most importantly, I tried to vary it up a bit and include some alternate mixes.

Enough blathering. Here's what I came up with:

Control intro
Control
If
Let's Dance (segue)
Miss You Much (Mama Mix)
All for You
Say You Do
What Have You Done for Me Lately
Nasty
Black Cat
Go Deep
That's the Way Love Goes
Someone to Call My Lover
Together Again
Pleasure Principle (Ultimix)
Rhythm Nation
Runaway
Escapade (Got it Made 7" mix)
Alright (12" R+B Mix feat. Heavy D)
When I Think of You (remix)

No comments: