Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Help" on DVD - finally!

Thus far, the only Beatle films to see worthwhile DVD releases in the States have been Yellow Submarine (released in 1999, and apparently once again out of print?) and A Hard Day's Night (a slick 2-disc edition released in 2002). Rumors persist annually that Let it Be is being worked upon, but who knows if that will ever happen. And I know that I'm in the minority, but I'd love to see a special edition of Magical Mystery Tour as well.

But the good news is that the second Beatles/Dick Lester film is finally getting the DVD treatment. Help! is to be released on 10/6 in the US. Two versions - one standard 2-disc set and another 'deluxe' edition with schnazzy packaging, a copy of the script, a book, repros of the movie posters, etc. I was all about going for the deluxe edition (I am first and foremost a Beatlemaniac). But seeing as it lists for $134.99, I think I'll settle for the standard version.

At any rate, I'm excited about this finally getting a proper release. Now I don't need to hold on to that VHS copy any longer. A Hard Day's Night is probably a better film, but Help! is so absurdly wonderful.

Here's one of my favorite music clips from the film, for "Another Girl."



And here's an extended trailer for the dvd.

No comments: