Friday, May 4, 2007

Iris DeMent



Earlier this week, I finally finished watching the entire series of Northern Exposure. Admittedly, the finale was more of a whimper than a bang. Seems to me it could have ended any season. At any rate, the final scene was a montage of sorts over which a very fitting song played. After some research, I found that the song is "Our Town" by Iris DeMent.

I tracked down the album from which this song came, 1992's Infamous Angel. On the whole, the album is as strong as "Our Town," a collection of singer-songwriter Americana that is both honest and poignant. I don't care as much for the final track, but the disc as a whole is quite enjoyable. I haven't gotten into any of her other material yet, but plan to do so soon. Give it a whirl!

(link expired)

No comments: